Professional Yachtmaster Ocean
About the course
Our Professional Yachtmaster (Ocean) training provides you with qualifications required to work on all types of yachts, anywhere in the world. Whether you are changing career, or considering an alternative to university, with 30 years’ experience UKSA is best placed to take you on a life changing journey into an exciting new career.
Where can it take you?
Whether you are looking for employment opportunities in flotilla, charter, deliveries and instruction or would like to work in the superyacht industry, the Yachtmaster (Ocean) qualification is your starting point*. UKSA are world renowned in the maritime industry and have a host of connections to help get you your first role in the industry.
Training at UKSA
All food and accommodation is included, meaning you can focus on your studies. The all-inclusive course gives you practical experience, preparation for the industry and engineer and maintenance skills training. We will prepare you for your first steps in the industry thanks to our unrivalled guidance, teaching, one-to-one mentoring and unique links with the maritime industry.
Price: £15,845 (including all food and accommodation)
As a charity, all our work supports and is reinvested into the delivery of our ‘Sea.Change’ activities, providing transformational opportunities to thousands of deserving young people every year.
UKSA are committed to making training and qualifications accessible to those who have the desire to succeed in a yachting or watersports career. To see a full list of all of our funding options visit our funding opportunities page or call us to talk about your options on: (01983) 294291.
There are no other pre-requisites necessary to start the course. All that we ask is that you have enough sailing experience to know that you want a life at sea. We recommend all applicants talk through with our expert course advisors. Call us (01983) 203038 or email: [email protected]
- 22-week course
- Expert tuition on our yachts and in the class-room
- World-class facilities at our Cowes base, the home of yachting
- Mile-building covering a minimum of 2,500 tidal miles, including self-skippering.
- Ocean passage planning and practical qualifying passage covering 600+ miles
- Maintenance training
- Ocean navigation training
- Radar training in our state-of-the-art simulation suite
- Advanced engineering and safety training
- All food and accommodation included
- Employment placement support and ongoing professional guidance upon graduation
Course qualifications upon completion:
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
- RYA Day Skipper
- RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sail)
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean (Sail)
- RYA Marine Short Range Radio
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- MCA Approved Engine Certificate
- MCA STCW Basic Training
- MCA Personal Survival Techniques (STCW A-VI/1-1)
- MCA Elementary First Aid (STCW A-VI/1-3)
- MCA Personal Safety and Social and Responsibility (STCW A-VI/1-4)
- MCA Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (STCW A-VI/1-2)
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (STCW code Reg A-VI/6-1)
Just call us on +44 (0) 1983 203001 or email [email protected] and we will help you arrange course choices and dates.
To work professionally within the maritime industry, you must be commercially endorsed. To commercially endorse your RYA Yachtmaster Certification at the end of your training, you will need to complete the RYA Application for Commercial Endorsement Form.
Professional Yachtmaster Ocean bolt-on options:
RYA Cruising Instructor
The 5-day course will open opportunities to work as an RYA Instructor at an RYA accredited school in a freelance capacity. You will be qualified to teach up to the RYA Day Skipper Practical level. Click here for more information.