Williams Shipping Workboat Crew Member Apprenticeship
Are you looking for an exciting career in the maritime industry?
Workboat Crew Member Apprenticeship in association with Williams Shipping
The workboat crew member apprenticeship with UKSA and Williams Shipping is a 2 year programme designed to give the apprentice all the skills, knowledge and behaviours to work on a wide variety of specialist vessels ranging from tugs and multi-purpose workboats to fast pilot boats and crew transfer vessels taking personnel out to vessels or installations offshore.
No experience required!
After initial 4 weeks training at UKSA the apprentice will work with Williams Shipping on one of their workboats on a 3 week on/ 3 week off rotation with continued training at UKSA and the Isle of Wight College. On completion of the apprenticeship and the end point assessment there is the opportunity of full-time employment.
The crewmember must have the knowledge, skills and competence to carry out all the core tasks on board with minimal supervision, including –
- Communications – including use of VHF and UHF radios, mobile telephone and IT
- Navigation & vessel handling – manoeuvre the workboat and check position using bridge equipment.
- Berthing – bring workboat alongside and to handle mooring ropes to secure the workboat.
- Towing Operations & Laying Moorings – using winches to handle ropes, wires and chains.
- Personnel Transfers – ensuring all precautions taken to allow safe transfer to other object.
- Cargo handling – assist in slinging of loads, crane operations and securing cargo on board the workboat.
- No experience required!
- You must be aged 18-25 to start the Workboat Crew Member Apprenticeship.
- Every civil apprentice without exception will need to pass the MCA’s strict ENG 1 medical requirements.
- STCW Basic Safety Courses: Personal Survival Techniques, Firefighting and Fire Prevention, Emergency First Aid, Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- STCWProficiency in Designated Security Duties
- STCW Navigational Watch Rating Certificate (incl. 6 months statutory sea time)
- MCAAuxiliary Engine Course (AEC) Parts 1&2
- MCA Efficient Deck Hand Certificate (incl. 6 months statutory sea time)
- Marine Hydraulic Loader Crane Operators certificate
- Slinger and Signaller’s certificate
- Food preparation and hygiene certificate
- Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
- Vessel Ropework, Anchoring and Mooring Operations certificate
Apprentices without Level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level prior to taking their end point assessment. For those with an education, health and care plan or a legacy statement the apprenticeships English and maths minimum requirement is Entry Level 3 and British Sign Language qualification are an alternative to English qualifications for whom this is their primary language.
We are currently not accepting new applications. Please check back soon.
Apprenticeship in association with Williams Shipping
Williams Shipping is a marine & logistics company founded in 1894 who offer a broad range of marine and logistics services, including vessel charter, port services, transport & logistics, marine lubricants distribution, and container hire & sales. From strategically located bases in Southampton and Milford Haven, they offer a wealth of marine & logistics expertise across the UK and Europe.