Efficient Deck Hand (EDH)
The Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) must now be completed as part of the OOW certification.
The course covers:
- Basic seamanship
- Ropework and wire work
- Use of lifting equipment
- Rigging of stages and bosuns’ chairs
- Basic painting and maintenance routines
- Steering and duties of the lookout and the responsibilities of crew members under the Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen.
Hold one of the following certificates:
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) or International Yacht Training (IYT) Yachtmaster certificate and shorebased course certificate;
- Yacht rating with at least 6 months sea service and a steering certificate or Navigation Watch Rating certificate;
- Fishing Class 2 CoC or the Seafish 5 day watchkeeping course for under 16.5m fishing certificates;
- BML Tier 1 level 2 certificates; Or
- Tug rating with at least 6 months sea time (which may be in categorised water) and a steering certificate or a NWR certificate.
Note: before an EDH certificate can be issued a minimum of 6 month sea service in vessels of more than 15m is required.
- 5 days
Examination and assessment:
There is an oral and practical examination at the end of the course carried out by an approved MCA examiner.
The course syllabus can be found in MIN471
After 01 January 2017, an MCA Approved Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) certificate must have been issued at least 18 months prior to the issue of your Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) Certificate of Competency.
|Efficient Deck Hand (EDH)||05/07/2019||09/07/2019||£750||£670|
|Efficient Deck Hand (EDH)||20/09/2019||24/09/2019||£750||£670|
|Efficient Deck Hand (EDH)||18/10/2019||22/10/2019||£750||£670|
|Efficient Deck Hand (EDH)||14/12/2019||18/12/2019||£750||£670|