Develop your radio communication expertise
Radio communication courses
Learn how to operate marine radio and satellite communication equipment with courses at UKSA. Seafarers can develop their radio communications skills and understanding by means of demonstrations and practical exercises on our range of sophisticated radio equipment.
Our radio operation rooms use live equipment, which is carefully laid out to enhance the students’ learning experience.
Students will gain detailed practical knowledge of the following:
- Ship stations including digital selective calling (DSC)
- The principles of telex over radio
- Operational procedures and practices
- Exchange of communications relevant to the safety of life at sea
Our courses offer a mixture of theory and practical teaching:
- GMDSS General Operators Certificate (GOC) will prepare you to sit the MCA examination for the GOC Radio Operators Certificate. This entitles you to operate the VHF, MF and HF radio and satellite equipment on board all commercial vessels of any size in any sea area.
- Marine Radio Short Range Certificate course introduces you to the use of a marine VHF radio equipped with a Digital Selective Calling (DSC) facility.