The Professional Yachtmaster Course
About the course
Our Professional Yachtmaster Offshore course will provide you with the comprehensive training and qualifications required to work within the maritime industry as a yacht skipper or as superyacht crew.
The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate is recognised and respected around the world and is the ultimate aim of many skippers looking for employment opportunities in flotilla, charter, deliveries and instruction.
Alongside the STCW Basic Safety Training certification, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore qualification is fast becoming the entry level requirement for those looking at a long term career within the superyacht industry. So there is no better reason to become qualified!
RYA Yachtmaster Course Detail
- 14-week course
- 58 days afloat
- Expert tuition on our yachts and in the class-room
- Brand new fleet of Jeanneau 449’s
- World-class facilities at our Cowes base, the home of yachting
- Sea time focused on skills and drills
- Mile-building covering a minimum of 2,500 tidal miles, including self-skippering
- Navigation training
- Radar training in our state-of-the-art simulation suite
- Basic engineering and safety training
- All food and a blend of shorebased and yacht accommodation included
- Industry Guidance and assistance with your maritime CV
- Industry professionals & potential employers are regularly on site providing our students with unique industry insight and opportunities
- Ongoing professional guidance upon graduation
RYA and MCA Qualifications upon completion:
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sail) or RYA Yachtmaster Coastal (Sail)
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
- RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased
- MCA STCW Basic Safety Training
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Elementary First Aid
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
- RYA Short Range Radio
- RYA Radar
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- RYA powerboat Level 2
- RYA Personal Watercraft Proficiency (Jet Ski)
- RYA Professional Practices and Responsibilities
Yachtmaster Course Funding
UKSA are committed to making training and qualifications accessible to those who have the desire to succeed in a yachting or watersports career. Funding could be available for this Yachtmaster course. To see a full list of all of our funding options visit our funding opportunities page or call us to talk about your options with our experienced course advisers on: (01983) 203038.
Yachtmaster Course Pre-requisites
There are no other pre-requisites necessary to start the course. All that we ask is that you have enough sailing experience to know that you want a life at sea. We recommend all applicants talk through with our expert course advisors. Call us (01983) 203038 or email: [email protected]
To work professionally within the maritime industry, you must be commercially endorsed. To commercially endorse your RYA Yachtmaster Certification at the end of your training, you will need to complete the RYA Application for Commercial Endorsement Form.
Life after the Yachtmaster graduation
Josh Stickland, has been announced as 1 of the 11 professional skippers to lead a novice team in the 40,000 nautical mile Clipper 2019-20 Round the World Race.
He says “It has been a long time coming! I have wanted to be a Clipper Race Skipper since I qualified as a professional skipper when I was 22 at UKSA.” Read more about this great achievement here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How to get a commercial skipper’s license
The recommended route to obtaining a commercial skippers license is to do two training courses which consist of the Day Skipper Shore based course and the Day Skipper Practical course. These are both included in the Professional Yachtmaster offshore course. The first covers the theory and knowledge based training, such as meteorology, navigation, pilotage techniques and collision regulations; the second is putting this theory into practice in addition to developing the practical skippering skills of crew management, boat handling, practical pilotage and passage making.
- What is a Yachtmaster?
A Yachtmaster is a person with a wealth of maritime knowledge who can cope with plain sailing and motor cruising and is also able to cope in demanding situations. Our Yachtmaster offshore qualification is recognised and respected all around the world and is the ultimate aim of many skippers, both professional and recreational.
- Who are the RYA?
The RYA (Royal Yachting Association) is the national body for dinghy, yacht and motor cruising, all forms of sail racing, RIBs and sportsboats, windsurfing and personal watercraft and a leading representative for inland waterways cruising.
The Professional Yachtmaster Exam
Our Professional Yachtmaster Offshore course provides you with all the pre-requisites to prepare you for the exam at the end of the course. The exam will include an assessment of your skippering skills, boat handling, general seamanship, navigation, safety awareness and knowledge of the IRPCS, meteorology and signals.