Develop your passion for watersports and outdoor education while finishing your further education
If you have a passion for watersports/outdoor education and want an active, adventurous alternative to school or sixth form college, our BTEC Level 3 in Sports and Physical Activities (Coaching in the Outdoor Industries) could be just what you are looking for.
On completion you will be ready to work in employment within the vast sectors of sport and outdoor industries or train further* to enter into higher education at degree level (through accumulated UCAS points). During both years, students will be offered employment between June and September.
*Pathways into other UKSA yachting careers
UKSA’s 2-year BTEC Level 3 programme provides in-depth knowledge of the sports and outdoor industries. Students actively participate in leading sessions as a coach or instructor. Anatomy, physiology, the effects of nutrition and activities on the body are analysed through different training programmes.
Who is this BTEC programme for?
This course is funded as part of a full-time 16-18 year old further education (FE) programme.
If you are aged 19+, you may still be eligible for funding; please speak to a course advisor on 01983 203028 for full terms and conditions. If you don’t meet these criteria, case-specific options are available. For more information call the Student Services team at the Isle of Wight College (01983 526631).
- Minimum of 3 GCSE’s 9-4 including English and maths
- An interest in sports, coaching, outdoor education or watersports
- Successful interview at UKSA
About the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports and Physical Activities
Qualification units on this BTEC:
- Practical Sports Performance
- Fitness for Sports and Exercise
- Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- Physiology of Fitness
- Organising Sports Events
- Sports Development
- Sports Coaching
How will I learn?
- 3 days a week minimum (2-2.5 days theory, 1-1.5 days practical)
- Attendance is compulsory in all timetabled sessions
1st year training at UKSA includes:
- RYA First Aid
- RYA Safe and Fun (Safeguard Training)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Licence
- RYA Marine Short Range Radio Certificate
- BC Paddleboard Instructor
2nd year students will work towards:
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- RYA Windsurf Instructor
The skills required for these achievements will be gained through practical sessions. Additional retake assessments will be the responsibility of the student, cost-wise and time-wise. There is no guarantee of students gaining qualifications. It is paramount that all sessions are attended.
Career support and mentoring during your training includes:
- UKSA’s careers and employment advice
- Support with job searches and the recruitment process
- CV development & covering letters
At UKSA we value the importance of work experience
A number of weeks will be dedicated to work experience on different sites and in unfamiliar environments. This is intended to broaden understanding and experiences while providing opportunities for networking. This desirable qualification offers increased employment prospects worldwide from age 18 years and can be used as an entry point for professional yacht training.
All study programmes for 16-18 year olds at The Isle of Wight College include:
- Work experience
- English and maths
- Non-qualification activity
- Vocational experience
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this BTEC Level 3, please fill in a register interest form or call our course advisors. Alternatively you can apply directly to the college website as detailed below:
- Visit https://www.iwcollege.ac.uk/
- Select ‘courses’
- Select ‘activity leadership’
- Select either ‘course of interest’ or ‘apply online’
- You can now apply online by registering an account or using an existing account
Once completed, applications will be processed and an interview date will be sent out by post. All interviews are conducted by UKSA representatives – some courses may have a selection day instead of an interview. This will be stated in the letter sent by the Isle of Wight College.
For further information please visit https://uksa.org/professional-training/further-education/ or call 01983 203028.