Completed our Watersports Instructor Training? Already worked for a season in watersports?
Why not take the next steps and become a Senior Watersports Instructor or Centre Manager? Start earning as soon as you graduate!
Do you want to be ready to start work in the watersports industry on the day you graduate? Would you like to be a SUP or Windsurf instructor? Are you after qualifications endorsed by the RYA and BC? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then this is the course for you!
Course Entry requirements
- Watersports Instructor Training (WIT) qualification at UKSA or an equivalent Dinghy Instructor course
- One full season’s experience as a watersports instructor
- Successful interview at UKSA on selection day
Start Date: 3rd September 2019
This course is funded as part of a full-time 16-19 year-old further education (FE) programme. If you are aged 19+, you may still be eligible for funding; please speak to a course advisor on 01983 203038 for full terms and conditions. If you don’t meet these criteria, case-specific options are available; for more information call the Student Services team at the Isle of Wight College (01983 526631).
About the Watersports Instructor Development Programme (IDP)
This intensive 26-week programme develops and moves graduates of the UKSA WIT (Watersports Instructor Training) programme towards the next stage of their watersports careers after a season’s employment as a watersports instructor. Designed to enable access to Advanced Watersports Instructor or Centre Manager roles in the watersports industry, on successful completion of the course, students will receive an NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Sport (Outdoor Pathways)*.
With further endorsements to your existing watersports qualifications, you will be able to seek worldwide employment opportunities. These additional tickets are very desirable to employers and increase your chances for sustainable employment.
All endorsed by RYA (Royal Yacht Association) and BC (British Canoeing), programme elements include:
- Safety Boat
- Power Boat Instructor
- SUP ‘Ready to Race’ (personal ability training delivered)
- SUP ‘Ready to Tour’ (personal ability training delivered)
- Knowledge towards Day Skipper Theory
- Keel Boat Endorsement
- Multihull Endorsement
- Dinghy Advancement
- Windsurf Advancement
NCFE is a national awards organisation with units within the qualification follow the QCF (Qualification and Credit Framework), which awards credit values, a standard currency for student achievement across the qualifications system.
How the Watersports IDP works
- 1-2 days/week Maths & English
- 3 days/week practical, theory and/or work experience.
- Students yet to obtain a GCSE in Maths or English will need to attend study sessions at the Isle of Wight College. Attendance is compulsory in all timetabled sessions.
Additional retake assessments will be the responsibility of the student, cost-wise and time-wise. There is no guarantee of students gaining qualifications. Entry to final examinations will be at the cost and arrangement of the student.
Career support and mentoring during your training includes:
- UKSA’s careers and employment advice
- Support with job searches & the recruitment process
- CV development & covering letters
All advisors are professionally qualified and have a wealth of experience, plus first-hand knowledge of the industry.
At UKSA we value the importance of work experience
A number of weeks will be dedicated to work experience on different sites and in unfamiliar environments. This is intended to broaden understanding and experiences while providing opportunities for networking. This desirable qualification offers increased employment prospects worldwide and it can be used as an entry point for professional yacht training.
How to apply
You can apply by filling out the register interest form or calling one of our Careers Advisors on 01983 201038. Alternatively you can apply online to college as detailed below:
- Visit https://www.iwcollege.ac.uk/
- Select ‘courses’
- Select ‘activity leadership’
- Select either ‘course of interest’ or ‘apply online’
- You can now apply online by registering an account or using an existing account