BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport and Physical Activities (Coaching in the Outdoor Industries)
If you have a passion for outdoor education and/or watersports and want an active, adventurous alternative to a purely college setting, this FE course could be just what you are looking for. Upon completion, you will be ready to work in employment within the vast sectors of sport and outdoor industries or train further* or enter into higher education to degree level (through accumulated UCAS points). During both years, students will be offered employment between June and September.
*Pathways into other UKSA yachting careers
UKSA’s 2-year BTEC Level 3 programme provides in-depth knowledge of the sports and outdoor industries and students actively participate in leading sessions as a coach or instructor. Anatomy and Physiology and effects of nutrition and activities on the body are analysed through different training programmes.
- Minimum of 3 GCSE’s 9-4 including English, Maths and Science
- An interest in sports, coaching, outdoor education or watersports
- Successful interview at UKSA
About the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports and Physical Activities
Qualification units on this BTEC:
- Practical Sports Performance
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- Physiology of Fitness
- Organising Sports Events
- Sports Development
- Sports Coaching
How will I learn?
- 3 days/week minimum (2-2.5 days theory, 1-1.5 days practical)
- Extended to 5 days/week as an individualised study programme plus Maths and English (Isle of Wight College) for students yet to obtain these GCSE’s
- Attendance is compulsory in all timetabled sessions
1st year training at UKSA includes:
- RYA First Aid
- Safeguard Training
- Powerboat Level 2 Licence
- Short Range Radio Certificate
- BSUPA Stand-Up Paddling Board Level 1
2nd year students will work towards:
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- Windsurf Instructor
The skills required for these achievements will be gained through practical sessions. Additional retake assessments will be the responsibility of the student, cost-wise and time-wise. There is no guarantee of students gaining qualifications. It is paramount that all sessions are attended
What are our BTEC Level 3 students doing now?
- Kieran Husband 2013 > now progressed onto our Superyacht Cadetship
- Callum Blackwell 2013 > Season at UKSA > Then worked for Neilson Holidays as a Watersports Instructor > Now works as a Beach Front Manager Neilson in Vassiliki
- Ali Nolan 2014 > Season at UKSA > Is currently a Lead Instructor at UKSA and is planning to work in Entertainment on cruise ships at the end of 2018
- Felix Trattner 2015 > Seasons with UKSA > University (Marine Architecture)
- Lillie Killick 2015 > Watersports Instructor UKSA > Mark Warner Summer and Winter season
- Jacob Jordan 2016 > University (Strength and Conditioning)
If you are aged 16-18 on 1st September and have not previously studied the same subject and level 3 course before, you are eligible to receive full funding.
If you are aged 19+, there are various case-specific options available that can be discussed with a member of the education team at UKSA, or the Student Services team at the Isle of Wight College (01983 526631).
All study programmes for 16-19 year olds at The Isle of Wight College include:
- Work experience
- English and maths
- Non-qualification activity
- Vocational experience
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this BTEC Level 3, please fill in a register interest form or call our course advisors. Alternatively you can apply directly to the college website as detailed below:
- Visit https://www.iwcollege.ac.uk/
- Select ‘courses’
- Select ‘activity leadership’
- Select either ‘course of interest’ or ‘apply online’
- You can now apply online by registering an account or using an existing account
Once completed, applications will be processed and an interview date will be sent out by post. All interviews are conducted by UKSA representatives – some courses may have a selection day instead of an interview. This will be stated in the letter sent by the Isle of Wight College.
For further information please visit http://uksa.org/youth-development/further-education/
or call 01983 203037.Register Interest