Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational Level)
HELM – Operational Level
While this course is designed to meet the mandatory requirements for training seafarers in the Human element of Leadership and Management at operational level, it gives so much more by being delivered by one of the industry’s leading experts in getting the most out of yourself and your crew.
The course covers the requirements for young watchkeeping officers to work with their superiors and manage their teams. This 3-day course will use a mixture of group facilitation, practical application, group exercises and discussion. The style of the course encourages participation, sharing of best practice, knowledge and experience ensuring you leave feeling equipped to effectively manage and lead your crew.
Who is the Helm O course for?
The operational level (3 day) Human Element, Leadership and Management (HELM) (Operational Level) course is now required for candidates applying for:
By the end of the course participants will be able to
- Explain the importance of the human element and the role of the leader, incorporating different styles of leadership
- Explain the challenges to effect communication and how to ensure messages and briefings are understood
- Understand what motivates and demotivates and how to create a ‘just’ culture
- Understand how to acquire and maintain situational awareness and its influence on reducing incidents at sea
- Identify why humans take risks and make mistakes
- Explain team workings and how to enhance team performance
- Explain different ways to contribute to shipboard training and identify different forms of development
- Manage tasks and workloads and identify best practices to manage time
Individuals will be assessed throughout the course, both written and observed, on the knowledge and application of the theories learnt.
NB: from the 31st August 2013 an MCA approved HELM (operation level) certificate is required for the issue of a Master (Code Vessels less than 200gt) and Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) CoC.
Those already holding the appropriate CoC will not be required to sit the course.
- Duration – 3 days
- Inclusive of all food & accommodation
- Inclusive of lunch
|Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational) Non-Residential Only||08/11/2021||10/11/2021||£560||–|
|Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational)||09/12/2021||11/12/2021||£560||£620|
|Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational)||15/01/2022||17/01/2022||£560||£620|
|Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational)||28/02/2022||02/03/2022||£560||£620|