Professional Yachtmaster Offshore
Get the professional edge
Our Yachtmaster Offshore qualification is recognised and respected around the world and is the ultimate goal for most skippers, both professional and recreational.
Our Professional Yachtmaster Offshore course will provide you with the comprehensive training and qualifications required to work within the maritime industry as a yacht skipper or as superyacht crew.
The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate is recognised and respected around the world and is the ultimate goal of most skippers looking for employment opportunities in flotilla, charter, deliveries and instruction.
Alongside the STCW Basic Safety Training certification, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore qualification is fast becoming the entry level requirement for those looking at a long-term career within the superyacht industry. So there is no better time to become qualified!
- 15-week course
- 48 days afloat
- Expert tuition on and off the water
- Brand new fleet of Jeanneau 449’s
- World-class facilities at our Cowes base, the home of yachting
- Sea time focused on skills and drills
- Mile-building covering a guaranteed 2,500 tidal miles, including one weeks self-skippering
- Navigation training
- Radar training
- Basic engineering and safety training
- All food and a blend of shore-based and yacht accommodation included
- Access to an on-site bar, swimming pool and gym
- Networking on site and recreational facilities (link to facilities page)
- Industry guidance and assistance with your maritime CV
- Industry professionals and potential employers are regularly on site providing our students with unique industry insight and opportunities
- Ongoing professional guidance and careers support upon graduation
You must have an ENG1 seafarer medical fitness certificate to work at sea (click here for more details) and to enable you to apply for your RYA Commercial Endorsement (click here for more details). We recommend all students secure this before attending a course.
There are no other pre-requisites necessary to start the course. All that we ask is that you have enough sailing experience to know that you want a life at sea. If you don’t have any previous experience, we recommend you talk to our course advisors on +44 (0)1983 203028 or [email protected]
We are here to support you
UKSA is committed to making training and qualifications accessible to those who have the desire to succeed in a yachting or watersports career. Funding could be available for this Yachtmaster course. To see a full list of all of our funding options visit our funding opportunities page or call us to talk about your options with our experienced course advisers on +44 (0)1983 203038.
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sail) or RYA Yachtmaster Coastal (Sail)
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
- RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased
- MCA STCW Basic Safety Training
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Elementary First Aid
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
- RYA Short Range Radio
- RYA Radar
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Personal Watercraft Proficiency (Jet Ski)
- RYA Professional Practices and Responsibilities
To work professionally within the maritime industry, you must be commercially endorsed. To commercially endorse your RYA Yachtmaster Certification at the end of your training, you will need to complete the RYA application for Commercial Endorsement Form, but you will gain all qualifications needed to commercially endorse your ticket during training.
How to get a commercial skipper’s license
The recommended route to obtaining a commercial skippers license is to do two training courses which consist of the Day Skipper Shorebased course and the Day Skipper Practical course. These are both included in the Professional Yachtmaster offshore course. The first covers the theory and knowledge-based training, such as meteorology, navigation, pilotage techniques and collision regulations; the second is putting this theory into practice in addition to developing the practical skippering skills of crew management, boat handling, practical pilotage and passage making.
What is a Yachtmaster?
A Yachtmaster is a person with a wealth of maritime knowledge who can cope with plain sailing and motor cruising and is also able to cope in demanding situations. Our Yachtmaster offshore qualification is recognised and respected all around the world and is the ultimate aim of many skippers, both professional and recreational.
Who are the RYA?
The RYA (Royal Yachting Association) are the national body for dinghy, yacht and motor cruising, all forms of sail racing, RIBs and sports boats, windsurfing and personal watercraft and a leading representative for inland waterways cruising.
|Professional Yachtmaster Offshore||09/10/2020||07/02/2021||Full|
|Professional Yachtmaster Offshore||28/10/2020||02/03/2021||Full|
|Professional Yachtmaster Offshore||13/11/2020||14/03/2021||Full|
|Professional Yachtmaster Offshore||15/01/2021||04/05/2021||Full|
|Professional Yachtmaster Offshore||29/01/2021||18/05/2021||Full|
|Professional Yachtmaster Offshore||09/04/2021||27/07/2021||£9,200|
|Professional Yachtmaster Offshore||14/05/2021||31/08/2021||£9,200|
Get free careers advice
I jumped at the chance to compete in the Golden Globe Race. This was everything that I had worked for and I had a chance to live it. For the past few years, I have been working flat out with a team of people to realise my ultimate goal of doing this race. It will be a challenge like nothing I have done before and I am throwing myself completely into it.
Gregor McGuckin – Golden Globe Race/Professional Yachtmaster