A safe learning environment
Maintaining high levels of safety and student wellbeing is our one number priority and we work tirelessly to ensure our safety protocols are robust and compliant to continue our exemplary safety record.
Safety is our number one priority
We are proud to offer young people of all ages and abilities a fun, safe and engaging experience where they can learn skills for life. Our safe learning environment ensures that all visitors to UKSA leave with a new-found confidence, new skills and a smile on their face!
We facilitate regular visits from the official bodies and authorities that regulate us, and we are accredited by Learning Outside the Classroom (LOtC), the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA), the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and the British Canoe (BC).
In addition to this, the Council for Learning Outside the Classroom verifies that UKSA:
- Has a process in place to assist users to plan the learning experience effectively
- Provides accurate information about our products
- Provides activities, experiences or resources to meet students’ needs
- Reviews customer experiences and acts on feedback
- Meets the needs of schools and youth groups
- Has safety management processes in place to manage risk effectively
Our team encourage students to aspire, achieve and have fun whilst learning essential life skills. Our team of instructors are all qualified first aiders and operate in a structured learning environment, ensuring protocols are followed and learning is delivered effectively.
We also provide:
- Low student-to-instructor ratio (1:6) on the water
- One safety boat for every six students
- Constant ship-to-shore contact via two-way marine radios
- CCTV-monitored campus 24/7 and secure perimeter fences
- Coded door access to every accommodation block
- Night-time duty supervisors
- Fire and safety briefings
The benefits of participation in sailing and watersports are multiple and proven, helping to build confidence, teamwork and resilience. Water based outdoor learning programmes give young people the chance to try various disciplines that call on a multitude of personal and inter-personal skills.
We’ve been delivering inspirational programmes to young people for over 30 years and we are passionate about using outdoor learning as a catalyst for positive change. Learning new skills and trying something totally new at UKSA can be life changing and we love seeing young people grow in confidence during their time with us!