The Maritime Foundation: NCFE (Level 3 Introductory Certificate)
Have you finished school and would like to set the foundation for a Maritime career?
The Maritime Foundation course gives you the basis to enter the maritime industry. Looking to escape the classroom and experience time on the water in diverse areas then this course is for you. Broaden your horizons and gain skills required to start a career within the maritime industry.
UKSA’s 2-year Maritime Foundation course is aimed at those who have no prior experience in watersports or yachting. This course provides the essential skills, qualifications and knowledge required to start a career within the Maritime Industry.
On completion of this course, learners gain the experience and qualifications to apply for various job opportunities within the maritime sectors. This can include:
- Watersports instructor
- Mate (Flotilla)
- Deck officer (merchant navy)
- Mate (tugs)
- Deckhand ( Superyachts/Workboats)
Who is this Maritime Foundation for?
This course is funded as part of a full-time 16+ further education (FE) programme. Ideal for students with who are looking to escape the classroom and gain valuable work experience to enable them to find a role within the Maritime Sector or want a structured pathway into UKSA’s Flagship Superyacht Cadetship or further training going into the Yachting and Watersports industry.
For further information contact UKSA on (01983 203038)
or the Student Services team at the Isle of Wight College (01983 526631)
- Interest or experience in watersports, outdoor education or maritime industry
- Successful interview at UKSA
- A minimum of 4 x Grade 3 and above including English and Maths (for students who have not achieved this, we will assess on a case by cases basis)
- Gain and develop essential skills valued by employers
- Increased chance of sustainable employment
- Further career progression opportunities within the maritime sector
- Industry knowledge and guidance
- Practical learning in a maritime centre of excellence
Job opportunities available for students on completion of the course
- UKSA’s Superyacht Cadetship
- Superyacht industry
- Tug Boats
- Mate on a flotilla
- Watersports Instructor
- Professional Yachtmaster
Year 1 – work towards achieving
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Outdoor Sports
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Marine Short Range Radio
- RYA Dinghy Instructor (subject to completing the skills preassessment)
- RYA First Aid
- RYA Safe and Fun
- PSCR Paddlesport Safety and Rescue Course
- BSUPA Paddleboard ready to Ride
- STCW Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Work Experience including Rope work, anchoring, maritime sector overview and industry guidance
- Participating in sport
- Outdoor and adventurous activities
- Leading an outdoor activity session
- Anatomy and physiology
Year 2 – work towards achieving
- NCFE Level 3 introductory certificate
- Introduction to Yachting
- MCA Sea Survival
- RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship
- Introduction to basic deckhand skills such as splicing, wire work and varnishing
- STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Introduction into engineering
- Simulator Training and basic Navigation
- Industry Guidance including CV and interview preparation
- RYA Safety Boat
- STCW Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention
- BSUPA Level 1 Instructor
- Industry visits
- Work experience
NCFE Level 3 Modules
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Principles and Practices in outdoor adventure
- Preparing for a career in sport and physical activity
- During this 2-year programme, 75% of your training will be practical with the remaining 25% theory
- 4 days a week minimum
Want to apply, why not attend a selection day?
If you’re interested in applying for the Maritime Foundation and would like to attend a selection, please contact UKSA to register your interest. Or alternatively register with the Isle of Wight College as detailed below.
- Visit – https://iwcollege.ac.uk/course-areas/activities-leadership/
- You can apply online by clicking the ‘+ Apply Online’ button on the Isle of Wight College Website
This course is funded as part of a full-time 16+ further education (FE) programme.
If you are aged 18+, we would advise looking at our career training courses. Or why not join us on an open day?
Get free careers advice
UKSA has had a huge influence on my choice of career; without them, I wouldn’t be starting my job on the superyacht in the Med!
Sophie Wilmot -Deckhand/SY Crew Training