The Maritime Foundation
Have you finished school and would like to set the foundation for a Maritime career?
The Maritime Foundation course gives you the basis to enter the maritime industry. Looking to escape the classroom and experience time on the water in diverse areas then this course is for you. Broaden your horizons and gain skills required to start a career within the maritime industry.
UKSA’s 2-year Maritime Foundation course is aimed at those who have no prior experience in watersports or yachting. This course provides the essential skills, qualifications and knowledge required to start a career within the Maritime Industry.
On completion of this course, learners are able to progress towards employment within the maritime sectors including watersports instruction, superyachts, merchant navy, Royal Navy, workboats, fisheries etc. Aiming towards roles such as seaman or deckhand.
Job opportunities available for students on completion of the Maritime Foundation course are:
- Watersports instructor
- Mate (Flotilla)
- Deck officer (merchant navy)
- Mate (tugs)
- Deckhand ( Superyachts/Workboats)
Who is this Maritime Foundation for?
This course is funded as part of a full-time 16+ further education (FE) programme. Ideal for students with who are looking to escape the classroom and gain valuable work experience to enable them to find a role within the Maritime Sector or want a structured pathway into UKSA’s Flagship Superyacht Cadetship or further training going into the Yachting and Watersports industry.
For further information contact UKSA on (01983 203038)
or the Student Services team at the Isle of Wight College (01983 526631)
- Interest or experience in watersports, outdoor education or maritime industry
- Successful interview at UKSA
- Students who do not have a 9-4 GCSE grades in English or Maths will be required to complete functional skills or GCSE’s in English and Maths, whilst attending The Maritime Foundation
- Gain and develop essential skills valued by employers
- Increased chance of sustainable employment
- Further career progression opportunities within the maritime sector
- Industry knowledge and guidance
- Up to 28 UCAS points (Equivalent to 1 A-Level)
- Practical learning in a maritime centre of excellence
Job opportunities available for students on completion of the course
- UKSA’s Superyacht Cadetship
- Superyacht industry
- Tug Boats
- Mate on a flotilla
- Watersports Instructor
- Professional Yachtmaster
Year 1 – work towards achieving
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- BC Paddlesport Instructor
- BC Paddleboard Instructor
- Introduction into Windsurfing
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA First aid
- RYA Safe and Fun
- RYA Marine Short Range Radio certificate
- BC Foundation Safety and Rescue Training
- Maritime Sector Overview
- Vessel Ropework, Anchoring and Mooring Operations
- Securing a Vessel for Passage
Year 2 – work towards achieving
- RYA Competent crew
- RYA Day Skipper Theory and Practical
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- RYA Safety Boat
- RYA Personal Watercraft Proficiency
- Keelboat Introduction
- NCFE Level 3 Introductory Certificate in Outdoor Pathway
NCFE Level 3 Modules
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Principles and Practices in outdoor adventure
- Preparing for a career in sport and physical activity
- Vessel Construction and Stability
- Control operation of survival craft and rescue boats
- During this 2-year programme, 80% of your training will be practical with the remaining 20% theory.
- 4 days a week minimum
Want to apply, why not attend a selection day?
If you’re interested in applying for the Maritime Foundation and would like to attend a selection, please contact UKSA to register your interest. Or alternatively register with the Isle of Wight College as detailed below.
- Visit https://www.iwcollege.ac.uk/
- Select ‘courses’
- Select ‘activity leadership’
- Select either ‘course of interest’ or ‘apply online’
- You can now apply online by registering an account or using an existing account
This course is funded as part of a full-time 16+ further education (FE) programme.
If you are aged 18+, we would advise looking at our career training courses. Or why not join us on an open day?
Register your interest
UKSA has had a huge influence on my choice of career; without them, I wouldn’t be starting my job on the superyacht in the Med!
Sophie Wilmot – Deckhand/SY Crew Training