Engineering Crew Training Course
Start your engineering career on Small Vessels or on Superyachts
Engineering has the largest skills shortage gap in the maritime industry and UKSA’s Engineering Crew Training course is the perfect pathway for experienced and new crew who want to work on small vessels or enter the superyacht industry via an engineering route. Although this training course is suitable for new members of crew some hands on experience in specific engineering employment is desirable as is a high level of professionalism and maturity.
Thanks to our expert tuition, purpose-built site and ALL-INCLUSIVE, intensive training package, you can start your career in the superyacht industry after five weeks at UKSA, armed with all the qualifications and skills you need.
Our yachting career students will tell you that we provide unbeatable course content, training and facilities. You will also enjoy modern shorebased accommodation and freshly prepared daily meals while you are training with us.
About the Engineering Crew Training course
The aim of this course is to familiarise you with common workshop practices and repair methods. We teach you the tools to use and the safe methods and procedures to use these tools and repair equipment.
At the end of this course you will have the basic knowledge of how to carry out repairs and be confident in procedures ensuring correct methods have been employed.
This course will suit engineer officers looking to pursue a career on “Small Vessels” and is also a good pathway for new crew looking to enter the superyacht industry via an engineering route. A Certificate of Competency (CoC) gained through this course will be transferable between the following industries:
- Seismic survey
- Oceanographic research vessels
- Government patrol vessels
- Fishing vessels
Course content focuses on the following areas :
- Crew training (deck work, look out and watch duties, tender duties and safety procedures)
- Vessel care (maintenance, basic repairs, cleaning)
- STCW training
- Mental Health training
- MCA Engineering training
- MCA Skills Workshops (70 hours)
- Careers guidance from our professional team
- Networking within the industry
- UKSA superyacht uniform (branded polo shirts) are provided
Why train with UKSA?
When you train at UKSA you experience our world-class tuition and over 35 years of maritime industry insight. Also included in your course fee :
- Accommodation in our new Sea.Change building for the duration of your course *
- Freshly prepared breakfast, lunch and dinner provided each day
- Purpose built classrooms and navigational training simulators all on one site
- One-to-one mentoring throughout the course from your instructors
- Dedicated careers course manager
- Career support both during and after your time at UKSA
- Networking on site throughout your time at UKSA
- Use of our swimming pool
- Access to our fully equipped gym
* subject to availability, we reserve the right to provide alternative accommodation on site
- UKSA Superyacht Crew Training Certificate
- MCA AEC1
- MCA AEC2
- MCA Workshop Skills Training
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
- Mental Health for Seafarers
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Tender Operator
- RYA Personal Watercraft Proficiency
- RYA Marine Short Range Radio
Alternative pathways into the superyacht industry
If you are considering a long term career on-board a superyacht and are aged between 18-25 you may want to consider our Superyacht Cadetship.
Marine Engineers must be physically fit and able. You must be energetic and enthusiastic with an ability to work to a high standard in all tasks. Elevating skills from AEC1 to AEC2 is a considerable jump so some previous knowledge and experience using and maintaining engines is desirable.
All seafarers must have an ENG1 seafarer medical fitness certificate to work at sea (click here for more details).
Whilst it’s not essential to hold your ENG1 to complete your training with UKSA, it is required to hold this to secure work in the industry. For this reason, we recommend all students gain their ENG1 before they attend training.
Course funding information
As a charity, we have funding opportunities available for many of our students. UKSA is committed to making training and qualifications accessible to those who have the desire to succeed in a yachting or watersports career. Your course adviser will be able to provide you with the details, assess your eligibility and put you forward if you are a suitable candidate.
To see a full list of all of our funding options visit our funding opportunities page or call us to talk about your options on +44 (0)1983 203038
Don’t just take our word for it
Ezekiel Denny – UKSA Superyacht Deckhand Training Graduate
“I received assisted career funding from Edmiston which enabled me to embark on this new adventure. Without the financial assistance from Edmiston I would probably not have been able to follow my dreams. If you are looking for a challenge that is extremely rewarding with lots of new experiences I would highly recommend you do a Superyacht Training course with UKSA.”