Adventurous Outdoor Activities: NCFE (level 3 diploma)
Love watersports & outdoor education? Complete your further education with UKSA
If you have a passion for watersports/outdoor education and want an active, adventurous alternative to school or sixth form college, this course is just what you’re looking for.
Practical outdoor education
UKSA’s 2-year NCFE Level 3 diploma programme provides in-depth knowledge of the sports and outdoor industries. Students actively participate in leading sessions as a coach or instructor. Anatomy, physiology, the effects of nutrition plus principles and practises of the outdoor adventurous industry are covered during the course.
On completion you will be ready to work in employment within the vast sectors of sport and outdoor industries or train further* to enter into higher education at degree level (through accumulated UCAS points).
Who is this NCFE programme for?
This course is funded as part of a full-time 16-18 year old further education (FE) programme.
If you are aged 19+, you may still be eligible for funding; please speak to a course advisor on 01983 203028 for full terms and conditions. If you don’t meet these criteria, case-specific options are available. For more information call the Student Services team at the Isle of Wight College (01983 526631).
- Minimum of 3 GCSE’s 9-4 including English and maths
- An interest in sports, coaching, outdoor education or watersports
- Successful interview at UKSA
- UKSA’s careers and employment advice
- Support with job searches and the recruitment process
- CV development & covering letters
A number of weeks will be dedicated to work experience on different sites and in unfamiliar environments. This is intended to broaden understanding and experiences while providing opportunities for networking. This desirable qualification offers increased employment prospects worldwide from age 18 years and can be used as an entry point for professional yacht training.
All study programmes for 16-18 year olds at The Isle of Wight College include:
- Work experience
- English and maths
- Non-qualification activity
- Vocational experience
Job opportunities available for students on completion of the course
- UKSA’s Superyacht Cadetship
- Superyacht industry
- Sport Coaching
- Watersports Instructor
- UKSA Professional Yachtmaster Offshore
- University – Foundation degrees or Higher National Diploma
Duration of Course
- 4 days a week minimum
- Attendance is compulsory in all timetabled sessions
Year 1 – Work towards achieving
- RYA First Aid
- RYA Safe and Fun (Safeguard Training)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Licence
- BC Paddleboard Instructor
- BC Paddlesport Instructor
- BC Foundation Safety and Rescue Training
- NCFE Level 3 Modules
Year 2 – Work towards achieving
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
- NCFE Level 3 Modules
- Experience in a variety of different disciplines
If you are interested in applying for this NCFE Level 3 diploma in Sports and Physical Activities (outdoors), please fill in a register interest form or call our course advisors. Alternatively you can apply directly to the college website as detailed below:
- Visit https://www.iwcollege.ac.uk/
- Select ‘courses’
- Select ‘activity leadership’
- Select either ‘course of interest’ or ‘apply online’
- You can now apply online by registering an account or using an existing account
Once completed, applications will be processed and an interview date will be sent out by post. All interviews are conducted by UKSA representatives – some courses may have a selection day instead of an interview. This will be stated in the letter sent by the Isle of Wight College.
Get free careers advice
Since I have been here at UKSA, I feel that my attitude has changed and I am feeling energised and positive about my future and am planning a career. What’s more, receiving an award for being an outstanding student in my first year of my BTEC here was amazing – it came as a complete surprise; I was ecstatic and excited.
Dominic Bozianu – Student/BTEC Level 3