Policy – Statement of Intent
The COVID-19 emergency requires all of us to work together in the national interest to protect the health and safety of everyone, jobs, and our maritime economy. UKSA take safety of our teams, students, and customers seriously. COVID-19 pandemic is potentially life threatening, we have therefore put social distancing measures in place in accordance with COVID-19 government guidelines and requirements. UKSA will continue to follow government guidelines regarding COVID-19 prevention. As a result; this policy may be subject to change at short notice. Updates will be communicated by UKSA to students via email and/or website. It is everyone’s responsibility to abide by this policy as well as related Procedures/Risk Assessments. Failure to do will be taken seriously and may lead to disciplinary action.
Our priority is to keep you safe. Where possible students should study away from common areas. To ensure that all activities are undertaken safely, and this policy is clearly understood throughout UKSA we will:
• Enforce a 2-metre social distancing rule at all times, ensuring there is enough room in all work areas where reasonably possible. Different rules apply to students working on yachts following a 7 day period onsite.
• Provide Hand Sanitiser at key location points across the UKSA site.
• Keep internal doors open and pathways clear where possible to avoid unnecessary risk of contact whilst not compromising site security.
• Thoroughly cleanse all surfaces throughout the day.
• Review this policy at least annually or more frequently if significant changes occur.
• Where people need to be onsite, we will instruct staff and students to remain within a UKSA bubble or work alone, wear face coverings in common areas and not to socially mix with other people on site. A UKSA bubble is defined as; a team of people who come together for a set period of time in either a work or education setting.
• Communicate important changes to COVID-19 guidance to ensure the continued safety of our students and staff.
UKSA Student Responsibilities
As students of UKSA you are responsible for managing your own health and minimizing the risk of COVID-19 spread to others. UKSA expect all students and employees to adhere to COVID-19 Social Distancing rules including:
• Study in safe place and away from others as agreed with your Instructor, UKSA Manager or Director.
• When you come to UKSA site, wash your hands before you leave and avoid public transport.
• Apply hand sanitiser before entering reception/office space.
• Report daily to UKSA Duty Manager before 9am for a temperature check and before joining your student bubble.
• Respect all site users and keep to the 2-metre social distancing rule at all times.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and bin the tissue straight away.
• Do Not spend more time onsite than is necessary to conduct your learning and study.
• If you or someone in your household develop COVID-19 symptoms; you must leave the site immediately and inform the duty manager, then self-isolate for 7 days if you develop COVID-19 symptoms, or 14 days if someone in your household has the symptoms.
• Adhere to one-way traffic systems onsite and gangways at all times.
• Adhere to all UKSA procedures relating to COVID-19 safety.
• You should report any non-social distancing behaviour to your Instructor or Duty Manager.
Travelling to and from UKSA.
1. Government guidelines tell us that social distancing is one of the most effective ways of reducing the risk of COVID-19. Everyone has their part to play in this and UKSA policy requires staff, students and visitors to adhere to these rules. When travelling to and from UKSA you should:
a. Walk, cycle or drive on your own to UKSA and not park on site.
b. You should avoid the use of public transport.
c. You must wash your hands before you leave and use hand sanitiser before entering buildings.
d. You must stay 2 metres apart from other people.
e. You may wear a face covering and/or gloves if felt appropriate.
f. Do not spend more time on site than is necessary.
g. You must wash your hands or use hand sanitiser before leaving UKSA. Moving around buildings and worksite.
2. Social Distancing on site is the safe way to minimise the spread of disease whilst at UKSA. Student bubbles will ensure you meet a limited number of people thereby minimising risk to spreading disease. When learning onsite you are required to:
a. Stay within your prescribed UKSA Student bubble.
b. Avoid face to face contact with others onsite.
c. Wash your hands regularly for a minimum of 20 seconds or use sanitiser from the appointed locations.
d. Follow the one way route systems keeping 2 metres apart from others at all times.
e. Equipment and tools should not be borrowed or lent to anybody outside of your bubble.
f. Use telephone, WhatsApp and/or video conferencing to talk to UKSA staff from other departments.
g. Face to face meetings should avoided and only held outside in the fresh air if deemed essential.
h. You should avoid entering other rooms/offices outside of your own working space.
i. You should avoid sitting face to face with other students within your bubble. Where this is not possible; you should remain 2 metres apart at all times where reasonably possible.
Safe working practice.
3. Non static job roles require some employees as well as students to move around the site to different locations. This includes Maintenance staff, Class Instructors, On water Trainers plus some other external contractors. Social Distancing must always still be applied by everyone where reasonably possible, to ensure safe working practices and student wellbeing is maintained. When on site you must:
a. Work alone or within your prescribed bubble as directed by your Instructor/Manager.
b. Adhere to one-way traffic systems on site and gangways at all times.
c. Use the dedicated ‘passing places’ on pontoons to avoid passing other pontoon users within 2 metres distance.
d. Apply social distancing rules to use of showers and toilets. Only 2 people are allowed to use the facility at any one time. If there are already 2 people inside, please return outside to wait.
e. Avoid common areas such as Reception, Restaurant, Bar area unless essential.
f. Avoid Reception where possible and contact vial email or phone. Where a visit to Reception is necessary, ensure you use Hand Sanitiser before and after visiting Reception.
g. Communicate with Students and Instructors via WhatsApp or phone where possible.
h. Do not socialise outside of your prescribed UKSA bubble.
i. You should avoid arranging delivery of parcels/take away meals to UKSA site.
j. You must adhere to quarantine measures as per section 6 when appropriate.
4. Social Distancing must remain in place at all times. You should avoid meeting people at break times as well as stagger tea and lunch breaks. Whilst on site you should be alert to the following:
a. Avoid sitting, standing, or eating in common areas where 2 metre social distancing rules can not be applied.
b. Avoid mixing with other UKSA employees, students, visitors who are not within you UKSA bubble.
c. A specific dining slot (breakfast, lunch and dinner) will be provided so that restaurant capacity is staggered. Apply restaurant social distancing rules.
d. Avoid Reception area where possible. Contact by phone or email if you can as a preference. Use dedicated reception waiting area.
e. Avoid face to face contact with others.
Accidents, Security and other incidents.
5. Report all incidents, security matters or accidents immediately to the duty manager or relevant person(s).
f. Take preventative measures but do not put yourself and others at risk.
g. Where possible continue to apply 2 metre social distancing rule.
h. First Aiders must wear appropriate PPE when attending incidents/ accidents.
6. People entering the UK from some countries are still required to self-isolate for 14 days. Please check www.gov.uk for latest details. Employees and students must notify their UKSA manager when they are due to return to the UK. The following must be adhered to:
a. Self-isolation must take place at your normal place of residence where possible but not on UKSA site.
b. You must have permission from UKSA to come onto site and book into accommodation at an agreed allotted time.
c. You must re-apply student responsibilities instructions contained within the context of this policy following your 14-day quarantine period.
d. You must follow government guidelines regarding quarantine and self islolation.
e. Refer to UKSA Quarantine Measures Policy for further details.
7. Anyone working within a bubble must remain 2 metres apart unless when onboard a yacht. Students are only permitted to sleep on a yacht following 7 day period ashore.
a. Each Yacht bubble will go directly to their designated yacht at the beginning of the day.
b. Social Distancing of 1 metre must be applied when onboard the yacht between UKSA Staff and the student bubble.
Information and documentation will be held and processed in line with GDPR guidelines.