MCA approved Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational Level) certificate
The course covers the requirements for young watch keeping officers to work with their superiors and manage their teams. This 3 day course will use a mixture of group facilitation, practical application, group exercises and discussion. The style of the course encourages participation, sharing of best practice, knowledge and experience.
Who is the Helm O course for?
The operational level (3 day) Human Element, Leadership and Management (HELM) (Operational Level) course is now required for candidates applying for:
- Master (Code Vessels less than 200gt) Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 500gt)
- Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt)
- 3 days – 100% attendance
Helm O course objectives:
By the end of the course participants will be able to:-
- To explain the importance of the human element and the role of the leader, incorporating different styles of leadership.
- Explain the challenges to effect communication and how to ensure messages and briefings are understood.
- Understand what motivates and demotivates and how to create a ‘just’ culture.
- Understand how to acquire and maintain situational awareness and its influence on reducing incidents at sea.
- Identify why humans take risks and make mistakes.
- Explain team workings and how to enhance team performance.
- Explain different ways to contribute to shipboard training and identify different forms of development.
- Manage tasks and workloads and identify best practices to manage time.
Examination and assessment:
Individuals will be assessed throughout the course, both written and observed, on the knowledge and application of the theories learnt.
NB: from the 31st August 2013 an MCA approved HELM (operation level) certificate is required for the issue of a Master (Code Vessels less than 200gt) and Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) CoC.
Those already holding the appropriate CoC will not be required to sit the course.
|Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational)||16/09/2019||18/09/2019||£600||£560|
|Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational)||14/10/2019||16/10/2019||£600||£560|
|Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational)||04/11/2019||06/11/2019||£600||£560|