Why choose UKSA to launch your maritime career?
Whether you are changing career or considering an alternative to university, with 30 years’ experience UKSA is best placed to take you on a life-changing journey into an exciting new career.
UKSA is known for – industry knowledge sessions, one-to-one mentoring and help with finding work – extra USPs that as a youth charity we are able to focus on.
There are lots of great reasons to choose our yachting, superyacht and watersports Career packages:
The right training is critical if you want to work in the Superyacht Industry
Gone are the days of enthusiastic backpackers and amateur yachties walking the jetties looking for seasonal work. Changes to maritime legislation and much higher standards of maritime safety now requires entry level yacht crew to have successfully completed a raft of qualifications. This includes full medicals, sea survival training, fire fighting and first aid as a bare minimum.
In the future and without exception, anyone potentially in command of, or serving as a member of crew onboard superyachts, typically costing €100 million plus, will require the highest standards of training and qualifications.
These qualifications together with the required amounts of sea time will only increase as individuals move up the ranks. Therefore, the modern day yachtie needs to consider a long-term development plan if they are to achieve a successful career. There are certainly no more fast track routes to the bridge.
Students wishing to pursue a career in the superyacht sector will continue to find the investment of time, money and hard work enormously rewarding.
For maximum employability choose our Watersports Instructor Training
Our eleven-week WIT course will see you qualify in teaching dinghy sailing, paddleboard, paddlesport and windsurfing – making you very desirable within the watersports industry. UKSA has links with some of the biggest employers in the watersports industry around the world, and students benefit from guaranteed interviews with Sunsail, Neilson, Ocean Elements and Mark Warner.
Chris Frisby, UKSA’s Head of Training, said: “We are constantly reviewing our courses and updating the content to make them relevant and of high quality. We are proud of the quality of our courses and we constantly strive to put better instructors out into the industry, which gives us a good reputation. Employers are quite rightly picky and only want top quality staff, so we aim to provide well-qualified, reliable and hard-working candidates.”
Reasons to launch your career with UKSA:
- We’re one of the world’s leading maritime training providers
- We offer world recognised MCA and RYA qualifications
- You will be taught by experienced industry experts
- Train on our outstanding fleet and in purpose-built facilities
- You will be supported by our Industry Guidance department, offering one-to-one mentoring and help with your CV and interviews
- Our own in-house placement service can help you find a job
- All-inclusive – you’ll live and eat on our fully equipped site in Cowes
- We’re not just a 9-5 organisation, you’ll have access to facilities after teaching hours
Life on campus
- You gain valuable skills such as teamwork, independence, and leadership
- You will have the opportunity to network and meet like minded people
- You can come back to us to develop your training and further your career
- There’s a great social aspect to training at UKSA, our lively bar has regular events and a great atmosphere.